These cheesy quinoa cups pack a bit of smoky heat, thanks to the cumin, minced jalapeno and fresh red pepper. Serve as a bite-sized appetizer or a dunk-able side with your favorite chili recipe!
1 cup water
1/2 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 large jalapeno, seeded and minced
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
2 green onions, minced (light and dark green parts)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, grated and divided
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Frontier Sea Salt
1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a small sauté pan over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of extra light olive oil. Once hot, add in the diced red bell pepper and minced jalapeno. Cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened.
4. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
5. Remove from the heat and transfer sautéed peppers/garlic to a plate to cool.
6. In a large bowl combine 2 cups of the cooled quinoa, green onions, cilantro, cooled peppers and garlic, eggs and 3/4 cup grated white cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
7. Add in the flour, salt, pepper and cumin. Mix until incorporated.
8. Lightly grease a mini muffin pan with baking spray. Spoon heaping tablespoons of the quinoa mixture into each muffin cup. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes.
9. Cool before removing from pan and serving.
Preparation Time: 30
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Servings: 3 cups
Recipe By: Test Kitchen