White Cheddar Quinoa Cups
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Hands-on Time: 30 mins
- Makes: 8 servings
These cheesy quinoa cups pack a bit of smoky heat, thanks to the cumin, minced jalapeno and fresh red pepper. Serve as a bite-sized appetizer or a dunk-able side with your favorite chili recipe!
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Cumin Seed Ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper Medium Grind
- 1/2 cup red quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra light olive oil
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 large jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. Rinse quinoa in a fine sieve until water runs clear, drain and transfer to a small pot. Add water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside off the heat for 5 minutes; uncover and fluff with a fork. Place into a bowl to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a small sauté pan over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of extra light olive oil. Once hot, add in the diced red bell pepper and minced jalapeno. Cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened.
4. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
5. Remove from the heat and transfer sautéed peppers/garlic to a plate to cool.
6. In a large bowl combine 2 cups of the cooled quinoa, green onions, cilantro, cooled peppers and garlic, eggs and 3/4 cup grated white cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
7. Add in the flour, salt, pepper and cumin. Mix until incorporated.
8. Lightly grease a mini muffin pan with baking spray. Spoon heaping tablespoons of the quinoa mixture into each muffin cup. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes.
9. Cool before removing from pan and serving.