Teriyaki Tofu Sliders with Grilled Pineapple and Sriracha Aioli
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Hands-on Time: 30 mins
- Makes: 4 servings
Take teriyaki tofu up a notch with minced onion, garlic powder and ginger root.
- 1/3 cup Simply Organic Minced Onion
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Ginger Root Ground
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce*
- 3 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1/2 pound extra-firm tofu, sliced into 2-inch squares about ⅓-inch thick
- 1/4 pound fresh pineapple, cored and sliced roughly 2 inches wide and 1/4-inch thick
- 4 whole wheat, dinner roll-sized buns, sliced
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- 4 ounces mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha chile sauce, or to taste
1. Whisk together the first 9 ingredients (liquids and spices) in a 4-cup (or larger) measuring cup.
2. Place the sliced tofu and pineapple in a shallow casserole, and cover with the teriyaki marinade. Turn each slice once or twice to coat, and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to overnight.
3. Mix together the mayonnaise, lime juice and chile sauce. Taste and adjust if needed, then refrigerate.
4. Preheat your grill. Real wood charcoal tastes best, but gas works fine. Avoid instant-light briquettes as they make food taste like lighter fluid. Aim for medium-high heat – if your grill lid has a thermometer built into the lid, it should read about 375 degrees.
5. Remove the tofu and the pineapple from the marinade and gently scrape off the excess marinade with a rubber spatula or the edge of the casserole. Place directly onto the grill and cook until well marked, roughly 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove to warm plate or upper rack of the grill.
6. Spread a light coating of the aioli on the inside of each slice of bun, and place bun face down on the grill. Char 1 to 2 minutes or to desired doneness.
7. Assemble sliders, each with a slice of tofu (or 2), a slice of pineapple, and 1 to 2 basil leaves per bun. Serve with additional aioli on the side.
*Use vegetarian version of Worcestershire sauce.