Sneaky Blueberry Muffins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Hands-on Time: 20 mins
- Makes: 20 servings
These may look like your typical blueberry muffins, but they're hiding a healthful secret. Packed inside is a cup of whatever vegetable or fruit puree you have on hand (our favorite is squash or half squash, half sweet potato).
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Fine Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Nutmeg Ground
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Frontier Organic Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil (vegetable, grapeseed, coconut, etc.)
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Baking Soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 cup puréed vegetable or fruit (suggestions: squash, sweet potato, carrots, apples, peas, peaches)
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 1/4 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg together in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, brown sugar, oil, puréed vegetable or fruit, and bananas, and mix well.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients and whisk in wet ingredients until just combined. Fold in blueberries.
5. Fill greased or lined muffin tins.
6. Bake in preheated oven until the tops are golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 to 22 minutes.
7. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to let cool fully on a wire rack. Cool an additional 5 minutes minimum on wire rack before serving.
8. Store leftovers (if there are any!) in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days, or freeze them.