Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken Soup with Avocado and Lime
- Total Time: 8 hours 20 mins
- Hands-on Time: 20 mins
- Makes: 6 servings
Kick up the heat with the spices in this slow cooker spicy chicken soup, then cool it down with fresh avocado and lime.
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic Chili Powder 2.89 oz.
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Oregano Leaf 0.75 oz.
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Coarse Sea Salt 5 lb.
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Smoked Paprika 2.72 oz.
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper Medium Grind 2.31 oz.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- 1/2 small bundle fresh cilantro. chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
- Tortilla chips, for garnish
- Sliced green onion, for garnish
1. In a skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Sprinkle chicken thighs with a pinch of salt and pepper. Once oil is hot, add chicken thighs. Brown thighs on each side for about 5 minutes per side, then transfer chicken to slow cooker.
2. Add onion to hot skillet, keeping medium-high heat on. There should be enough oil/fat leftover from cooking the chicken, but if not, add a drizzle of oil to the skillet. Saute onions for 5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
3. Add onion and garlic mixture, chicken or vegetable broth, green chilies, chili powder, oregano, salt, smoked paprika and pepper. Stir and cover with lid. Cook on low for 8 hours, until chicken is fully cooked and easily shreds (cooking times may vary slightly depending on the slow cooker).
4. Remove chicken from slow cooker. Shred chicken with two forks, then return shredded chicken to slow cooker. Stir in avocado, cilantro and lime juice.
5. Serve hot with lime wedges, cheese, tortilla chips and green onion.