Savory Grilled Turkey Burgers with Parsley and Thyme
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Hands-on Time: 30 mins
- Makes: 4 servings
A tasty twist on turkey burgers with organic parsley, thyme and white pepper.
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic White Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Thyme Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Parsley Flakes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
1. Preheat your grill. Real wood charcoal tastes best, but gas works fine. Avoid briquettes; they make food taste like lighter fluid. Aim for medium-high heat – if your grill lid has a thermometer built into the lid, it should read about 375 degrees.
2. Heat a sauté pan (see Chef’s Suggestions) over medium flame, then add the olive oil and the minced onion. Sauté briefly, until just tender. Stir frequently and do not allow to brown.
3. Add the salt and pepper, herbs and garlic, and sauté another 2 minutes, again not allowing it to brown.
4. Deglaze by adding the Worcestershire sauce and wine. Simmer to reduce to almost dry, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
5. Put the ground turkey in a large bowl, and add the cooled onion and garlic mixture. Mix thoroughly with clean, gloved hands.
6. Form into 4 equally-sized (about 6 to 7 ounces) patties of preferred thickness.
7. Grill over medium-high heat, until cooked through, roughly 5 minutes per side, per inch of thickness (i.e., if your patties are 1-inch thick, grill for 5 minutes per side). Use a meat thermometer to be sure the thickest part has reached 165 degrees.
8. Remove from heat, top with cheese if you like, then let rest, covered, for 5 minutes before assembling onto buns with your favorite condiments.