Salted Caramel Hot Buttered Rum
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Hands-on Time: 10 mins
- Makes: 5 servings
Organic coconut sugar, sea salt and cinnamon give an extra boost to this hot buttered rum recipe.
- 2 Simply Organic Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Cloves Ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Ground Ceylon Cinnamon
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water + 1⁄2 cup
- 1 cup rum
- 1 cup butter, salted or unsalted, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
FOR THE RUM
1. In a saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine the coconut sugar and 1⁄2 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a lively simmer.
2. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the cinnamon sticks. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the mixture is reduced in half and is dark amber in color.
3. Stir in remaining 3 cups water and cook for another 5 minutes, until the additional water is warm.
4. Add rum to the mixture, then remove from heat.
FOR THE BUTTER
1. In a medium-size bowl, beat together the butter, vanilla extract, brown sugar, cloves and cinnamon.
1. Pour 1 cup of rum mixture into 5 glasses.
2. Top with 1 to 3 tablespoons butter mixture.