Rosemary and Parmesan Cheese Scones
Rosemary adds an herby goodness to these savory organic parmesan cheese scones.
- 2 tablespoons Simply Organic Rosemary Leaf Whole
- Simply Organic Rosemary Leaf Whole
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, cold and cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk + 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Extra Parmesan cheese (for garnish, optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cheese, sugar, rosemary and baking powder. Whisk together.
3. Add butter. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the cubes resemble coarse crumbs.
4. In a small bowl, beat the egg and milk together. Pour egg and milk into the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
5. With your hands, bring the dough together into a ball. On a piece of wax parchment paper, place the dough and using your fingers, push the dough outward into a circle until an inch-high patty forms.
7. With a knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into eight slices as though cutting a pizza or pie.
8. With a pastry brush, brush the optional 1 tablespoon milk over the scones. Separate the scones on the parchment paper.
9. On a baking stone or cookie sheet, place the parchment (and scones).
10. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes. Five minutes before removing the scones from the oven, garnish the tops with a few sprinkles of dried rosemary and Parmesan cheese.