Mini Vegetable Pot Pie with Sage Cornbread
- Total Time: 1 hours 15 mins
- Hands-on Time: 20 mins
In this vegetarian pot pie recipe, a savory and warmly spiced lentil filling complements a rustic organic sage cornbread topping.
- 3 teaspoons Simply Organic Sage Leaf Ground
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Thyme Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Ginger Root Ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Rosemary Leaf Whole
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper Medium Grind
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red potatoes
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup carrots
- 1/2 cup sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup French lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth + 1⁄3 cup
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup white all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
FOR THE LENTIL FILLING
1. In a stockpot, over medium-high heat, heat the oil.
2. Add the potatoes, carrots and yellow onion. Sauté 4 to 5 minutes, just until the onion is translucent.
3. Add the lentils, 2 teaspoons sage, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon ginger, 1/2 teaspoon rosemary and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring into the vegetables. Add broth. Bring the ingredients to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid. Let simmer for 25 minutes, until the lentils are soft.
4. If mixture looks dry or the liquid has been absorbed by the lentils and vegetables, add 1⁄3 cup vegetable broth.
FOR THE CORNBREAD
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
6. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, 1 teaspoon sage, baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
7. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, melted butter and maple syrup.
8. Into the dry ingredients, pour the wet ingredients and combine with a spoon, just until the ingredients are mixed together.
1. Into the ramekins, evenly spoon the lentil mixture. On top of the lentil mixture in each ramekin, using an ice cream scooper, spoon about 2 tablespoons cornbread dough. Garnish with cheese, if desired.
2. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.