Maple Chipotle Sweet Potato Hash
- Total Time: 1 hours
- Hands-on Time: 20 mins
Maple and chipotle bring warm, savory-sweet flavor to an array of vegetables in this organic sweet potato hash recipe.
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Chipotle Pepper
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cubed (peeled, if desired)
- 1 cup beets, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup onions (white or red), peeled and chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups packed cups lacinato kale, torn
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoons olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large skillet (if on hand, one that can be transferred between the cooktop and oven), over medium-high heat, melt the butter or heat the oil. Add the onions and bell pepper.
3. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent and the vegetables “sweat.” Add the beets, parsnips and sweet potatoes, stirring to combine.
4. Into the vegetables, stir the spices and syrup. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Remove skillet from stovetop and place in oven. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are soft and can be pierced with a fork. 6. After 20 minutes of baking, check on the hash and stir the vegetables.
7. While the hash cooks, sprinkle olive oil on the lacinato kale and chickpeas, just enough to coat (not drench) the greens and prevent them from becoming brittle in the oven.
8. About 7 minutes before removing the hash from the oven, add the lacinato kale and chickpeas to the top of the hash.
9. Once the kale has wilted, remove the hash from the oven and gently fold the kale and chickpeas into the vegetables.