Honey and Cardamom Baked French Toast with Vanilla Bean Coconut Cream
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Hands-on Time: 20 mins
- Makes: 4 servings
This sweet French toast is baked to golden perfection and features honey and aromatic cardamom, topped with fresh fruit and a dollop of vanilla bean coconut cream.
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Fine Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Orange Peel
- Honey, for serving
- Fresh berries, for serving
- 15 ounces can full-fat coconut milk, cold
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 long loaf sourdough bread, cut into thick 1 inch slices (enough to cover bottom of baking dish)
- 1 1/4 cups canned coconut milk (light or regular will both work here) or regular milk
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 Frontier Vanilla Bean, halved and seeds scraped out
1. Rub the melted coconut oil in the bottom of a 9x13 inch-baking dish, and then arrange the sliced bread to cover the bottom of the dish.
2. In a large bowl lightly beat together the coconut milk, eggs, honey, vanilla, orange zest, cardamom and salt. Spoon the egg mixture over all of the slices of bread, making sure each slice is moistened. Cover and place the dish in the refrigerator overnight.
3. The next morning preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spoon any of the remaining egg mixture left in the dish over the bread, just as you did before. Allow the French toast to sit out for 20 to 30 minutes at room temperature before baking. When ready, bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
4. While the French toast is baking make the coconut cream. Flip your cold can of coconut milk upside down and open it. There should be around 1/2 cup of coconut water at the top. Pour this into a container and save for another use. Scoop out the coconut cream and place in a bowl. Whip the cream for 2 to 3 minutes, until soft peaks form. Beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla bean seeds. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
5. Allow the French toast to cool 3 minutes and then cut and serve the French toast warm with a dollop of the coconut cream, fresh berries and honey if desired.