Homemade Granola with Cinnamon, Cardamom and Maple
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Hands-on Time: 10 mins
- Makes: 6 servings
Warm, sweet cinnamon and aromatic cardamom bring distinct flavor to this homemade granola recipe, accented by unsweetened coconut flakes and chopped nuts.
1. Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine the oats, spices and salt. Stir well. Add in 5 tablespoons of softened coconut oil, 5 tablespoons of maple syrup and the vanilla extract. Stir together until fully combined. Use your hands if needed.
3. Spread mixture onto a large rimmed baking sheet in an even layer. No need to line or grease your baking sheets—the granola won’t stick.
4. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes until light golden brown in color. Check halfway through. No stirring necessary, unless the outer edges are starting to brown too quickly.
5. While baking, add the coconut, walnuts and pecans to your mixing bowl. Add the remaining coconut oil and maple syrup and stir well.
6. After baking for 25 to 35 minutes, gently stir the nut mixture with the granola and place back in the oven for an additional 8 to 12 minutes. The coconut should be light golden brown when finished. Watch closely as it can burn quickly.
7. Remove from the oven and let fully cool before eating or storing. The granola will crisp once cooled. Store in an airtight container on the counter for one to two weeks or in the fridge for three to four weeks.
Yields 6 cups.