Grilled Watermelon “Caprese” Salad with Cardamom Balsamic Reduction
- Total Time: 34 mins
- Hands-on Time: 30 mins
- Makes: 4 servings
Watermelon with a cardamom-spiced reduction puts a sweet spin on a classic.
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Cardamom
- 1 pinch Simply Organic Black Pepper Medium Grind
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 (5-pound) seedless watermelon (use both red and yellow seedless watermelon for extra color)
- Fleur de sel (or any good, flake salt)
- 2 cups baby arugula, washed and dried
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
1. Preheat your grill. Real wood charcoal tastes best, but gas works fine. Avoid instant-light briquettes as they make food taste like lighter fluid. Aim for medium-high heat – if your grill lid has a thermometer built into the lid, it should read about 375 degrees.
2. Place the vinegar and cardamom in a small saucepan and simmer (on the stovetop) to reduce to a syrup, roughly 20 minutes. Do not allow to burn. When it is about the texture of warm maple syrup, remove from the heat and strain through fine mesh or cheesecloth into a heatproof bowl. Use caution, it can stick to your hands and burn you.
3. Meanwhile, slice the watermelon into squares, without the rind, about 3x3 inches and 3/4 inch thick. Brush them lightly with the olive oil.
4. Grill watermelon about 2 minutes per side, or until it is marked nicely. Remove and season with the salt.
5. Arrange on a plate, alternating layers of watermelon, then arugula, then cheese, then repeat for a three-layer “stack” on each plate. Alternatively, arrange all stacks on a serving platter.
6. Drizzle with the balsamic reduction, sprinkle to taste with ground black pepper and serve immediately.
Optional Substitute thin slices of fresh buffalo milk mozzarella for the goat cheese.