- Total Time: 10 mins
- Hands-on Time: 10 mins
- Makes: 4 servings
Serve up open-flamed flavor in these adorable (and edible) grilled artichoke dipping cups. To intensify the grilled flavor of the artichokes, serve with a Merlot or Zinfandel. To play up the creaminess of the dip, serve with a Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay.
- 1 package Simply Organic Mediterranean Herb Greek Yogurt Dip Mix
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic Grind to a Salt
- 2 large artichokes
- 1 16 oz. package plain organic nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, strained to catch the pulp
- 2 teaspoons garlic infused olive oil (or any oil you prefer), divided
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 4-6 quarts water
1. Mix Simply Organic Mediterranean Herb Greek Dip Mix with the 16-ounce package plain organic nonfat Greek yogurt. Chill for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine the lemon juice, two tablespoons of olive oil, the all-purpose flour and water in a large pot. 3. Whisk together to dissolve the flour.
3. Prepare the artichokes by trimming the bottom of the stem and cutting an inch off of the top. With a vegetable peeler, peel the tough outer layer away from the stem exposing the flesh underneath. Remove any of the tiny leaves at the base of the artichoke. Using pair of kitchen shears, snip off the sharp points on the remaining artichoke leaves.
4. Place the prepped artichokes on a cutting board, stem side facing up, and cut in half. Submerge the artichoke hearts into the pot, cover and bring to a boil. Cook for about 20 to 25 minutes or until they can be easily pierced by a knife.
5. Remove the cooked artichoke halves and place them cut side up on a cutting board to cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Once they have cooled, preheat your grill. Real wood charcoal tastes best, but gas works fine. Avoid instant-light briquettes as they make food taste like lighter fluid. Aim for high heat - if your grill lid has a thermometer built into the lid, it should read about 400 degrees.
6. Remove the “choke” (the fuzzy, prickly center) by using a spoon and scraping it away from the artichoke heart and discard.
7. Brush the artichoke halves with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with the Grind to a Salt.
8. Place the artichokes halves, cut side down, on the preheated grill for three minutes. Rotate and cook for another three minutes until the artichokes are heated through.
9. Remove from the grill and cool for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm with chilled Simply Organic Mediterranean Herb Greek Dip in the center of each artichoke half. To eat, scrape the leaf through your teeth to get the flesh off, starting at the base of the leaf. Discard the rest of the leaf.