Garlic Bourbon BBQ-Marinated Grilled Chicken
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Hands-on Time: 15 mins
- Makes: 4 servings
Garlic, paprika and cayenne pepper give grilled chicken big charisma.
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Ground Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Mustard Seed, ground
- 1 sprinkle Simply Organic Black Pepper Medium Grind
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Cayenne Pepper
- 1 pinch Frontier Fine Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup bourbon (optional, alternative below*)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sorghum or molasses
- 4 organic chicken breasts, boneless or "airliner," skin on or off
1. In a 2-cup (or larger) measuring cup, whisk together all the liquids and spices. Try to break up any spice “lumps” with a fork.
2. Score the chicken breasts 3 to 5 times on the skin side of the breast by slicing about 1/2 inch into (but not all the way through) the meat. Do this regardless of whether you choose to leave the skin attached.
3. Place the breasts in a shallow casserole or 1-gallon plastic bag, and add the marinade. Mix until the chicken is thoroughly coated. Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to overnight.
4. Preheat your grill. Real wood charcoal tastes best, but gas works fine. Avoid instant-light briquettes as they make food taste like lighter fluid. Aim for medium-high heat – if your grill lid has a thermometer built into the lid, it should read about 375 degrees.
5. Remove the chicken from the marinade and scrape off as much excess as possible. Place on the hot grill, skin side down, and grill 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the breasts over and cook a further 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Using a meat thermometer, check the doneness at the thickest part of the breast. Cook further if needed to reach 165 degrees.
7. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes, then serve immediately.
*To leave out the bourbon, replace by doubling the water to 1/2 cup and adding one teaspoon Simply Organic Vanilla Flavoring.