Clementine Upside Down Cupcakes
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Hands-on Time: 20 mins
This organic butternut squash soup is served in shooters for a fun party appetizer featuring organic squash and curry powder.
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 teaspoons Simply Organic Rosemary Leaf Whole
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 to 5 tablespoons clementine juice (or 2 to 3 clementines, juiced)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon clementine zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 teaspoons coconut sugar, divided
- 16 clementine slices
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
FOR THE BATTER
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, use a mixer to beat the butter and sugar for 2 to 3 minutes, until well whipped.
3. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time.
4. Add the sour cream, 3 tablespoons clementine juice, 1 tablespoon clementine zest and vanilla extract. Beat for about 1 minute, until well combined, scraping the sides of the bowl if necessary.
5. Sift in the flour. Add the baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
FOR THE TOPPING
1. On the bottom of each space in a greased cupcake or muffin pan, sprinkle 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut sugar and 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary.
1. Top the sugar and rosemary with a clementine slice, then on top of the clementine slice, using an ice cream scoop, spoon a dollop of cupcake batter.
2. Bake for 25 minutes, until the cupcake batter is set. Remove the cupcakes from the muffin tin and flip upside down. The tops of the cupcakes should be slightly caramelized from the coconut sugar.
3. Allow the cupcakes to rest for 5 minutes.
FOR THE ICING
1. Combine 1/4 cup powdered sugar, 1 to 2 tablespoons clementine juice and 1 teaspoon clementine zest. Mix well.
2. Over tops of cupcakes, drizzle icing.
For the icing, substitute orange juice for clementine juice, if desired.