Carrot Cake Muffins with Coconut Oil and Nutmeg
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Makes: 16 servings
This wholesome carrot cake muffin recipe is crafted with white whole wheat flour, freshly grated carrots, almond milk, coconut oil and a spice blend featuring Simply Organic Ground Nutmeg. Grab one for a quick breakfast or snack.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Simply Organic Cinnamon 2.45 oz.
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Ginger Root Ground 1.64 oz.
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Nutmeg Ground 2.30 oz.
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract 2 fl. oz.
- 1 cup grated carrots, squeezed and packed
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose baking flour
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs, large (separated)
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, partially melted
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place 16 muffin liners into muffin tin and set aside.
3. In a medium size bowl, combine dry ingredients. Stir until well mixed, then set aside.
4. In large bowl, combine egg yolks (place the egg whites into a smaller separate bowl), Greek yogurt, vanilla, maple syrup and almond milk. Using a hand mixer, mix until well combined.
5. Slowly add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix. Then add carrots and partially melted coconut oil. Mix and set aside.
6. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until they form peaks. Then, gently fold egg whites into batter.
7. Fill muffin liners 3/4 full with batter.
8. Place muffin tins into oven on middle rack for 19 to 21 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after insertion into a muffin.
9. Cool muffins for at least 30 minutes before topping with icing
10.To make icing, mix together powdered sugar and water. Drizzle icing over top of muffins, add chopped pecans and enjoy!