Cardamom French Toast with Caramelized Bananas
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Hands-on Time: 20 mins
- Makes: 4 servings
A surefire way to revive day-old bread, this simple French toast recipe is dressed up with caramelized bananas, real maple syrup and organic ground spices.
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract 4 fl. oz.
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Simply Organic Ground Ceylon Cinnamon 2.08 oz.
- Pinch Frontier Fine Sea Salt 7 oz.
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- 2 firm but ripe bananas, sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large shallow bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, cardamom and salt.
3. Working with one slice at a time, dip bread into egg mixture and turn gently, allowing both sides to soak up mixture.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Cook slices for about 2 minutes per side, until golden brown. Place bread on a rimmed baking sheet and transfer to oven to warm.
5. Working with the same skillet, warm remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat until melted. Add brown sugar and remaining 1/4 cinnamon, then stir until sugar has dissolved. When mixture begins to bubble around the edges, add banana slices and stir to coat.
6. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes, until bananas begin to brown.
7. Serve French toast hot with a generous spoonful of caramelized bananas, a drizzle of maple syrup and a sprinkling of cinnamon and cardamom.