Blackened Chicken Gumbo Casserole
- Makes: 6 servings
This casserole melds blackened chicken and traditional gumbo for a Cajun dish that's even more fascinatingly flavorful than usual ... if that's possible.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add sliced sausage and saute until browned. Remove from pot and set aside.
3. While sausage cooks, add the paprika, cumin, garlic powder and coriander to a small bowl and mix. Pound chicken breast to 1/4-inch thick. Rub and press seasonings into chicken.
4. Add 1 tablespoon oil to large pot and add chicken. Cook chicken about 4 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Remove chicken from pot and cut into bite-sized pieces.
5. Add 3 tablespoons of oil to pot and heat. Add flour and stir frequently for 5 minutes or until flour turns a golden brown.
6. Add diced pepper, celery and onion to pot. Saute for about 3 minutes. Add tomato paste, chicken broth, diced tomatoes and Gumbo Base Seasoning Mix and combine.
7. Gently pour gumbo into a casserole dish and bake for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve with cooked rice.