Black Bean Chili with Acorn Squash and Toasted Pepitas
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Hands-on Time: 15 mins
- Makes: 6 servings
Inky, dark colored beans give this vegetarian black bean chili its name, but in our recipe, black beans share the spotlight with sweet acorn squash and irresistible heat of chili powder, chipotle pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and fire-roasted tomatoes.
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Cumin Seed Ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Chipotle Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper Medium Grind
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 acorn squash, peeled and diced
- 2 cans (15-ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 cans (14-ounce) fire-roasted tomatoes
- Toasted peptias, for topping
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add acorn squash and onion. Saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add black beans, vegetable broth, tomato paste and fire-roasted tomatoes.
2. In a small bowl, combine spices and mix. Add to chili pot.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
4. Top with toasted pepitas.