Baked Apple Pie Taquitos with Cinnamon
- Total Time: 1 hours
- Hands-on Time: 20 mins
Apple pie fuses with crispy baked taquitos in this recipe featuring organic cinnamon and nutmeg, then drizzled with caramel sauce made from medjool dates.
- 3 teaspoons Simply Organic Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Nutmeg Ground
- 16 4-inch flour tortillas
- 4 cups apple, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup + 3 teaspoons coconut sugar
- Squeeze of lemon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons water
- 8 medjool dates, pitted
- Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-by-12-inch casserole dish with coconut oil cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a medium-size saucepan, combine apples, flour, coconut sugar, lemon, coconut oil, water, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. Turn heat to medium-high and let mixture cook down until a thick sauce forms (about 5 to 7 minutes), stirring often. The apples should still be a bit crunchy at this point.
4. Prep taquitos by placing 1 to 2 tablespoons of the apple pie mixture into the middle of each 4-inch tortilla. Tightly roll up each tortilla to create a taquito and place into the casserole dish.
5. In a small bowl, mix together coconut sugar and cinnamon.
6. Generously spray tops of taquitos with coconut oil cooking spray or rub with coconut oil. Sprinkle tops of taquitos with cinnamon sugar. Spray again with cooking spray.
7. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, into a high-speed food processor combine dates, water and salt. Process on high until a paste forms. Add more water, if needed.
9. Let taquitos cool and serve with date caramel and ice cream.